Thursday, January 6, 2011

What have the Germans ever done for us? : Chopped Pork Black Forest Style

This is another recipe I collected when I was living in Amsterdam. We were having a pot-luck dinner, where everyone brings something from their own country to eat. As far as I remember I brought bread and butter pudding, which went down a treat with all my friends.

My friend Felix then brought in this dish and I begged him to email me the recipe because it was so delicious. I waited until I came home to Ireland to make it. Luckily you can buy Black Forest Smoked Ham in ALDI supermarkets so it keeps the cost of the meal down. This dish can be served with anything from rice to potatoes or just on its own.

Ingredients:
600g Pork (chopped into strips)
200-250g Mushrooms (chopped)
1-2 Onions (finely chopped)
200g Black Forest Smoked Ham
500ml Beef Stock
200ml Cream
200ml Milk
Salt & Pepper
Paprika
1 tbsp Flour

Method:
  • Fry mushrooms & onions until the onions are translucent. Put aside.
  • Season pork with salt, pepper & paprika. Fry in the same pan used to fry the onions & mushrooms.
  • Add beef stock & half of the ham. Boil for 5 minutes.
  • Add cream, milk and the remaining ham. 
  • Mix flour with a water until dissolved. Add to the sauce & heat until thick & creamy.
  • Enjoy

1 comment: