Monday, November 15, 2010

Moroccan Delight: Kefta Tagine (Meatballs with Eggs)

First of all I have to say that this is not my recipe. I got it from The Hairy Bikers. I must also thank my good friend Mark-o for making this dish for me when I visited him in London. It is a very simple dish and just proves my point that, with a good press full of herbs, you can make anything. It also reaffirms my belief in the power of tinned tomatoes from Lidl as a cupboad essential. Again I used my trusted cassarole dish instead of a tagine (because I have no idea where to find one in Wexford!)



Meatballs
Ingredients:
500g/1lb 2oz Minced Beef or Lamb
1 Onion (very finely chopped)
3 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Paprika
Small handful Coriander Leaves (Finely chopped)
Small handful Parsley (Finely chopped)
1 Egg Yolk
Salt & Pepper

Tagine
 Ingredients:
2 tsp Olive Oil
1 Onion (Finely chopped)
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
400g Tin Chopped Tomatoes
2 tbsp Honey
200g Frozen Peas
4 Eggs
Parsley for garnish
 
 Method:
  • Preheat oven to 200°C.
  • Place all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl. Season and mix very well. Shape the mixture into small balls.
  • Use a tagine (if you can find one) or a heavy-bottomed cassarole dish. Heat olive oil and fry the onions until translucent. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides.
  • Mix the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and honey together and add to the dish. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Add the peas to the dish and stir.
  • Crack the eggs on top of the dish. Cover and bake in the oven until cooked. 
  • Garnish with a little chopped parsley and serve with Coucous. 
  • Enjoy

1 comment: