Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Due to phenominal demand (well...5 people): Deep-Fried Brie with Cumberland Sauce

This is a dish I serve in the restaurant Corkscrew that I work in. Credit due to Joe. I finally tried making it at home last Sunday and both my parents loved it. It's a really easy thing to make and is delicious as a starter or for a lunch. You could even make the brie smaller and have it as warm finger food at parties.

As for the Cumberland Sauce, it is, again, real easy to make but I would suggest making it in advance so it can cool down. I don't have the exact same recipe as the sauce I used (because I didn't make it) but I have found a very good alternative. You will find the Redcurrant Jelly for this recipe near the Mint sauce etc. in the supermarket as it is used moreso as an accompaniment for meat dishes.

Cumberland Sauce
Ingredients:
8 tbsp Redcurrant Jelly
75ml Port
80ml Orange Juice
Method:
  • Combine Ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
  • Allow to cool. 
You can jazz up the sauce with grated orange/lemon peel, salt & pepper, mustard or even some cayenne pepper. It all comes down to what you like.


Deep-Fried Brie



Ingredients:
1 block of Brie Cheese (cut into1 inch pieces)
Flour
1 Egg (whisked)
Breadcrumbs

Method:
  • Place Flour, Egg and Breadcrumbs in 3 seperate bowls.
  • Coat cheese in Flour, then dip in the Egg mixture, making sure that all of the cheese is covered. Then place cheese into the breadcrumbs, again making sure it is well coated.
  • Place in a hot deep-fat fryer (or pot of oil) and cook until golden brown. 
  • Serve on a bed of salad leaves and drizzle with Cumberland Sauce. 
  • Enjoy

 Dr. D

1 comment: