Monday, February 14, 2011

Japanese Favourite: Chicken Teriyaki

So I was over visiting friends in London last week. As usual with my foodie friends, the conversation turned to the various things we have cooked recently (my friends Orlaith & Marco loving to cook too). Orlaith asked me to find a teriyaki recipe & post it on my blog. So here it is! I have only had teriyaki once or twice before so was not completely au fait with exactly how it is supposed to taste & what exactly classifies as a "good" teriyaki sauce. However I did a good bit of research online & found that teriyaki sauce is surprisingly easy to make (or more importantly, difficult to mess up!) I served this will some crispy vegetable tempura (which I will blog the recipe to later) but you can easily just have some nice, fluffy rice as an accompaniment. You can also add some stir-fry vegetables to the pan before frying the chicken to add some depth and texture to the meal.



Ingredients:
3/4 Chicken Breasts or thighs
75ml Soy Sauce
75ml Mirin (Sweet Rice Wine)
75ml Sake (Optional)
2 tbsp Sugar
1 Clove Garlic (grated)
1 inch Fresh Ginger (grated)

Method:
  • Mix the Soy Sauce, Mirin, Sake, Sugar, Ginger & Garlic in a bowl. Pour over the chicken breasts & leave to marinade for at least 30mins (the longer the better)
  • Heat some oil in a frying pan. Drain the chicken and fry on one side until brown. 
  • Lower heat and turn the chicken over. Add the marinade, cover the pan & allow the chicken to cook through. 
  • Take off the lid & simmer until the sauce thickens. 
  • Take the chicken out of the sauce and slice into 1 inch pieces & place on the serving plate. Pour a little of the thickened sauce over the chicken.
  • Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. I love teriyaki sauce with salmon .. yumm.

    Congratulations on your nomination for the Irish Blogger Awards

    ReplyDelete