Fearing that they would go rotten before we got to eat them all, I decided to make some dishes to use up all the fruit. The first one is a refreshing plum sorbet. It's quite easy to make and you don't necessarily have to use the vanilla and cinnamon if you don't want to. The only awkward thing is having to keep removing it from the freezer in order to mix. Of course, if you have an ice-cream maker then this is no problem at all.
500ml Boiling Water
500g Caster Sugar
1 Vanilla Pod
1 Cinnamon Stick
- Put the water and sugar in a saucepan & stir until the sugar has disolved.
- Add the Vanilla, Cinnamon & Plums.Place on a moderate heat & simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the plums from the saucepan using a slotted spoon & allow both the plums & the syrup to cool.
- Cut the plums, removing the stones, & place them in a food processor with the sugar syrup. Blend until pureed.
- Place the puree in a freezer proofed sealed container and place in the freezer. After 1 hour, remove & stir. After that, take out & stir every 30 minutes for 2 hours. Then return to the freezer until ready to serve.